Monday, June 3, 2013

The Classics Club

As I've immersed myself in the book bloggy world I've heard lots of good things about The Classics Club. Now, I love the Classics. I try to read at least a few new ones every year and its rare I find one I can't appreciate (though it does happen. The Woman in White, I'm looking at you). So why not put together a list of the ones still on my to-read list and join in the fun!

The idea is you list 50 classics and aim to read (and write) about them within a five year period. So for me, this challenge will end in June 2018. I love my list. I'm genuinely interested in reading everything on it and I feel like I've got a good mix to keep me interested. The oldest on here was written in approx 1250 BC (The Iliad). The youngest in 2004 (Cloud Atlas). There's ancient classics, modern classics, children's classics, western classics and some that are just classics of their genre. There is only one on here I've read before and it's listed because I loved it and want to read it again within the next few years - can you guess which it is? There's also one on here that as of the forming of my list I'm currently reading. But because it weighs in at over 1500 pages and I'm currently less than half way through, I have no qualms about including it (Les Miserables).

Without further ado and in alphabetical order by author's surname, here's my list:

  1. Adams, Richard: Watership Down

  2. Alcott, Louisa May: Little Women

  3. Anonymous: The Thousand and One Nights

  4. Atwood, Margaret: Oryx and Crake

  5. Atwood, Margaret: The Blind Assassin

  6. Austen, Jane: Sanditon & The Watsons

  7. Blackmore, R.D: Lorna Doone

  8. Bond, Michael: A Bear Called Paddington

  9. Bronte, Charlotte: Jane Eyre

  10. Buchan, John: The Thirty-Nine Steps

  11. Bunyan, John: Pilgrim’s Progress

  12. Capote, Truman: Breakfast at Tiffany's

  13. Chaucer, Geoffrey: The Canterbury Tales

  14. Christie, Agatha: Murder on the Orient Express

  15. Conan Doyle, Arthur: A Study in Scarlet

  16. Conan Doyle, Arthur: The Hound of the Baskervilles

  17. de Saint-Exupery, Antoine: The Little Prince

  18. Dumas, Alexandre: The Count of Monte Cristo

  19. Dumas, Alexandre: The Three Musketeers

  20. Fitzgerald, F. Scott: The Great Gatsby

  21. Gaskell, Elizabeth: Mary Barton

  22. Gaskell, Elizabeth: North and South

  23. Gaskell, Elizabeth: Sylvia’s Lovers

  24. Hawthorne, Nathaniel: The Scarlet Letter

  25. Hemingway, Ernest: The Old Man and the Sea

  26. Homer: The Iliad

  27. Hugo, Victor: Les Miserables

  28. Hugo, Victor: The Hunchback of Notre Dame

  29. Ishiguro, Kazuo: Remains of the Day

  30. Jerome, Jerome K: Three Men in a Boat

  31. Kingsolver, Barbara: The Poisonwood Bible

  32. le Carre, John: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

  33. Marquez, Gabriel Garcia: One Hundred Years of Solitude

  34. Mitchell, David: Cloud Atlas

  35. Mitchell, Margaret: Gone with the Wind

  36. Montgomery, L.M.: Anne of Avonlea

  37. Montgomery, L.M.: Anne of Green Gables

  38. Moore, Alan: V for Vendetta

  39. Nesbitt, Edith: The Railway Children

  40. Plato: The Republic

  41. Priestly, J.B: An Inspector Calls

  42. Remarque, Erich Maria: All Quiet on the Western Front

  43. Rider Haggard, H: King Solomon's Mines

  44. Scott, Sir Walter: Ivanhoe

  45. Steinbeck, John: Of Mice and Men

  46. Steinbeck, John: The Grapes of Wrath

  47. Tolstoy, Leo: Anna Karenina

  48. Walker, Alice: The Color Purple

  49. Waugh, Evelyn: Brideshead Revisited

  50. Wodehouse, P.G: Life at Blandings


I feel like I could have easily listed 100. It's amazing what real classics I've missed in my reading adventures so far. Especially children's classics (husband was horrified that I've never read A Bear Called Paddington. I've never read Winnie the Pooh either. Obviously my childhood was somewhat lacking in fictional bears).

This is going to be fun! Are you a member of the Classics Club? If so, do leave me your list so I can check it out. If not, why not head on over and give it a try.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Classics Club!! Its funny that you mention how you could've easily listed 100. I started with 50, and then kept adding and adding - so now I think my list is 90 titles long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list! My favorite on yours is Gone With the Wind, but I also adore Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, and Jane Eyre. :) Very best wishes on this.

    ReplyDelete